Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Field Trip - Galveston

Today's Friday Field Trip come courtesy of fellow writer, commenter, and blogger, Carol Kilgore. I'm sure some of you know her from her blog, Under the Tiki Hut. I hope more of you will step forward with photos to share. Thanks, Carol!

These photos were all taken sometime between April 14-19 this year on Galveston Island in Texas. Galveston has been around for a long time and has a rich and slightly dark history. The island was severely damaged by Hurricane Ike in September 2008 and is still recovering. Century-old live oaks were destroyed and sculptures designed from their trunks dot now the landscape where they once ruled their surroundings. I’ve included a lot of different sights so you can get a better feel for Galveston and its proud people. Enjoy!




























13 comments:

Joanne said...

Beautiful beach, beautiful architecture. But those sculpted oaks, Wow! They are just breathtaking, what gorgeous art. Thanks for the daytrip Carol and Terry :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good to hear they are rebuilding.

Carol Kilgore said...

Joanne - The oak sculptures are beautiful and honor the majesty of the trees they once were.

Alex - Yes. Galvestonians are a resilient bunch.

VR Barkowski said...

I know the Pacific Coast well, but when I see pix like this, wanderlust hits and I yearn to travel and explore. Thanks, Carol. I will get to Galveston one day.

Karen C said...

Galveston has been on my list of places I want to go for quite some time; these lovely pictures only reinforce that desire! And, what a ingenious idea to think of creating such beauty within the remains of the oak trees! Definitely making lemonade when handed lemons...
Carol and Terry - thank you!

Carol Kilgore said...

VR - Galveston is a great place to visit!

Karen - Yes...lemonade. I hope you'll get to visit Galveston soon.

Anonymous said...

Galveston, oh Galveston...takes me back to Glen Campbell. The place, as seen through your photographic eye, Carol, is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Ann Best, Memoir Author

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Beautiful! Oh, I do remember watching Hurricane Ike on TV. Glad the area is recovering so nicely. :)

Carol Kilgore said...

Ann - I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Elizabeth - They still have a ways to go, but what they've done so far is outstanding.

Leah St. James said...

Great photos, Carol! One of my closest friends lives in Houston, and she participated with a church group in some rebuilding efforts immediately after Ike. The tree sculptures are amazing!

Carol Kilgore said...

Leah - I'm sure your friend has many stories. Galveston holds a special place in my heart.

Carol Kilgore said...

Terry, thanks so much for letting me share some of my Galveston photos here. I had a great time!

notesfromnadir said...

Galveston looks like a great vacation spot.