Thursday, June 26, 2008

On proper punctuation

I'm reading manuscripts for a contest, and it's very easy to move into deep editing mode. Learning the basics is important. Sure, rules are broken all the time, but you have to know how they're used correctly before you break them.

I ran across this little bit (can't find the author to give credit, sorry!) and I think it demonstrates how important some of those little punctuation marks can be.

Dear John,

I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous,
kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless
and inferior.

You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings
whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy - will you let me
be yours?

Gloria

Now, let's change some of the punctuation and see what happens.

Dear John,

I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous,
kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless
and inferior.

You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no
feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will
you let me be?

Yours,

Gloria

4 comments:

Dara Edmondson said...

That's great - reminds me of Eats, Chutes and Leaves, a grammar primer.

Dara Edmondson said...

I meant shoots! Must have been thinking of Chutes & Ladders!

Koko Brown said...

Pretty cool examples

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, Dara & Koko -

Chutes, shoots -- are those homonyms?