Monday, December 14, 2009

Holiday Giving



We're now in the midst of Hanukkah, and this one's unusual in that it's not only the two of us. We're in Colorado, first, to celebrate our grandson's second birthday. And, as long as we were going to travel, we decided to do some preliminary relocation scouting.

It just so happened that our visit coincides with Hanukkah, and so we actually have family around. Or, rather, family has us around. With everyone scattered, and with a holiday that gets little recognition from employers as being worthy of time off, we don't usually have the opportunity to celebrate face to face.

Our kids are grown, and we've long since cut back our gift exchanging to immediate family, and even then, we rarely go all out. We've reached a point where "it's the thought that counts" much more than a tangible gift.

But because we were going to see two of our kids, and it was going to be during the holiday, I asked if they had any special wishes. My daughter-in-law suggested a donation to her favorite charity. We decided that was an excellent idea, and that is what we're giving to our kids this year. Donations in their names.

To me, that's the true spirit of giving. (And the fact that you don't have to hit the malls doesn't hurt either.)

Be sure to come back tomorrow when my guest, Mary Ricksen relates a tale about how she saved her dog's life by refusing to give up.

6 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is a great idea, Terry, especially considering the tough time a lots of charitable organizations are having this year.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

It's great you're with your family for Hanukkah! I know you'll enjoy the birthday party and holiday.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Carol Kilgore said...

Happy Hanukkah, Terry. I've been remiss in not including the greeting on my blog posts. I'll try to remedy that with the next one.

Terry Odell said...

Thanks for stopping by, ladies. Being out of town, I don't have time or opportunity for promo, etc., so it's good to know people still read my blog without my nagging!

Had a great day today; looked at a different area (Divide, for Patricia who probably knows where it is), went to the Dinosaur Resource Center, drove through Garden of the Gods and visited with our grandson for a few hours.

Sheila Deeth said...

Lovely idea. And how nice that you get to be with family. Happy Hanukkah.

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, Sheila. Yep, I'm enjoying myself.