Wednesday, September 07, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday, Multi-purpose Sauce

What I'm reading: Double Play, by Jill Shalvis

Thanks to Kelly for her reminder that we can't slack off even when we're the boss.

For today's cooking installment, I decided to go with something quick, easy, and versatile. My mom called this "Sauce for Vegetables" but it can be used for a lot more than that. Hubster grilled fish the other night, and because it was a very mild flavored fish, I decided to dress it up with this sauce.

As you can see here, there aren't a lot of ingredients. And you can increase, decrease, or swap things out as you prefer. It's kind of like my plotting style. A lot of improv. (If you look at the recipe card, you can see there's not a whole lot going on.)

Here's the "official" ingredient list, which you can clearly see in this picture:


1 small onion, chopped (I used 1/2 a large one, because we like onions)
Butter or oil (not on Mom's card, but you have to brown the onion in something! Use what you like: I used olive oil and butter)
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. mustard
Dash cayenne (depends on your heat tolerance)

Here's what you do:



Brown the onion.



Add the rest.




Mix into cooked vegetables. Mom used green beans most of the time. It doesn't make a whole lot, so if you're cooking for more than 2, I'd double the recipe.

Also, for my fish topper, at the end, I threw in a few glugs of white wine and let it reduce a bit.


Like this post? Please share by clicking one of the links below.

4 comments:

Maryannwrites said...

Thanks for the recipe. I never thought of putting a sauce like that in vegetables. Maybe I'll try it for my husband who doesn't like his veggies.

Terry Odell said...

Maryann -- Mom mixed it IN the veggies, which, I think, is better than simply putting it on top.

(And I need to work on photography skills to make the final product look closer to the real color instead of that dull brown.)

Karen C said...

Sounds great - thank you!

Lucas Kain said...

Mmm, pure amazingness. :) Thanks for feeding us nice stuff all the time!

___
International Calls to Australia