Friday, September 09, 2011

Friday Field Trip - Memorial Forest

First -- Happy 90th Birthday to my aunt, although she'll never see this because she wants nothing to do with computers. Happy Birthday anyway, and you should be getting flowers because you don't have a computer. Oh, I'd have sent them anyway, even if you DID have a computer. Love you.

Last Monday, not because it was Labor Day (when you're retired, empty-nesters and/or work from home, one day is exactly like any other--except for Tuesday being clean sheet day, and Wednesday being garbage pick up day, Sunday being drinks at McGinty's, etc.), but because the weather was nice and we'd skipped our usual Sunday hike (which you can do if you're retired, empty-nesters and/or work from home) and headed out to a nearby Women's Memorial Forest, where I took pictures of Gnarly Things. Had I been Jason, they'd have been prettier, but I'm not, so you'll have to deal with my point and shoot, straight out of the camera (more or less) shots.

























Like this post? Please share by clicking one of the links below.

7 comments:

Maryannwrites said...

Not bad for point and shoot, which is basically what I do, too. There is something so intriguing to me about old pieces of wood like these. Makes me want to go take pictures of the old oak tree next door. Maybe I will. Bye....

Terry Odell said...

When you do, how about sharing them here one Friday.

I know if Jason had been doing the shooting, even with a point and shoot, he'd know how to adjust settings and do all the fill flash stuff, and then make them works of art in post-processing.

With me, you get tree stumps. In harsh light.

Mason Canyon said...

I think you did a great job with your point and shoot method. Trees can stir the imagination. Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday to your aunt.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress
Freelance Editing By Mason

Wynter said...

Gnarly, huh? Cute;-) So even after you retire, there's such a regular weekly routine, huh? No playing fast and loose with clean sheet day?

Terry Odell said...

Mason - thanks. Up here, we have a lot of trees. Not a lot of different KINDS of trees, but they each have their own special beauty. The aspens are going to be turning very soon--we can see little bits of yellow here and there.

Wynter - well, I did change sheets on a Monday when we were headed out of town, so that when we came back Tuesday night they'd be clean. But those little routines (today is clean towel day, BTW) help keep us from losing track of time altogether. And I think Hubster likes these little ruts. It's movie night tonight, too. (Netflix)

Karen C said...

I liked the point and shoot pictures as my imagination saw all kinds of things in the gnarly bits!

And I totally agree with the little routines you need to keep track of time!!

Terry Odell said...

Karen - thanks for the encouragement. Routines can help, although I've been known to play fast and loose with "clean the floors day."