Saturday, March 27, 2010

That Recipe You Requested

If you're looking for Jessica's shots of Wales, scroll to the next post. Someone requested her recipe for macaroons, which I'm posting below. And for the record, I did find a small "Passover" table at the local Safeway, which still had several varieties of macaroons, so I won't be faced with creating my own in my non-kitchen.

She also added a recipe for gefillte fish. I'll post that one tomorrow. More power to you, Jess.



Macaroons – Jess said she thinks she found this recipe somewhere on about.com.

INGREDIENTS:
5 cups flaked sweetened coconut
3 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate


PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicon mats or parchment sprayed with cooking spray.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Scoop out 1 inch mounds, placed about 1 inch apart, on a lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes, until just turning brown. Cool and store in a sealed container between sheets of waxed or parchment paper.

The macaroons will keep nicely for several days. Variation: Divide the coconut mixture in half, and add the chips to one half, leaving the other half plain. Adding cocoa powder also works, but you'll have to experiment with the amount until they're chocolaty enough!

I form them into balls with medium pressure, instead of just scoops, to help them hold their shape.

Makes about 5 dozen macaroons.

4 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

This sounds delicious. I always thought macaroons would be difficult to prepare. This is quick and easy. Thanks, I'll have to give this a try.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Glad you found a Passover table, Terry! And thanks for the macaroon recipe...sounds delish! :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Terry Odell said...

Mason, Elizabeth - you'll have to let me know how they turn out! I like the almond ones, although they're still predominantly coconut.

You'll have to come back tomorrow and give me your take on the gefilte fish.

Elena said...

Amazing - a recipie I can make, especially since I have a neighbor who can separate eggs. Gives you an idea of what sort of cook I am. If I'm lucky she'll volunteer her kitchen which means she'll do it all and I can hang out and ooh and ahh!
Thank you Jess - this looks like fun.