Sunday, March 28, 2010

And onto the Fish Course


And, as I promised yesterday, here's the recipe Jess found on line for Gefilte Fish. I'll be making a whole lot of macaroons before I tackle this one. If you're looking for her pictures of Wales, they're on Friday's post.



Gefilte Fish

Here's what I've used for gefilte fish. Not quite the same as store bought, and no slime, but not too bad. :) Can mix in salmon, too.

Recipe Ingredients

Fish Balls:
• 1 lb. fresh or frozen (thawed) haddock, co or similar firm white fillets
• 1 medium onion
• 1 carrot
• 1 large egg
1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 Tbsp. matzo meal

Broth:
• 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
• 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
• 1/4 tsp. black pepper
• 3 vegetable bouillon cubes

For the fish balls, coarsely cut fish, onion and carrot into chunks. Put in food processor fitted with steel blade and process until smooth.

Add the egg, salt, pepper and matzo meal and process until smooth. Set fish mixture aside while preparing the broth. Place all broth ingredients into a deep pot or Dutch oven. Bring to boil over a high heat; then lower heat and simmer until bouillon cubes dissolve.

With wet hands, shape fish mixture into 1 1/2 inch diameter balls. Gently drop the balls into the simmering broth. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, occasionally turning balls with a spoon.

Remove the pot from the heat and let the balls cool in the broth. Use a slotted spoon to remove the balls. Strain broth through cheesecloth and pour over fish.
Makes about 12 balls.

This is my recipe:


Instead of Gefilte fish, I'll be at our son's making Charoses. Much more to my liking.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I rather prefer your recipe, too, Mom. But we make due. :) Charoses cupcakes are going to be attempted later in the week...

Elena said...

Both recipies are somewhat simpler than when my Great Aunt and I would walk to the store with her special carp bag to pick out our own special carp from the group swimming around in the big pickle barrel.

I'd proudly lug the heavy dripping bag back to the apartment where the fish would live in the bathtub until it was time to make the gefilte fish.

No food processor, everything went through a meat grinder clamped to the side of the table (it was only used for gefilte fish), including the extra heads and such that provided a bit more aspic (AKA slime).

I've become wheat intolerant, so no more gefilte fish, but just writing this I can still smell and taste it.

Unknown said...

Elena...it is pretty simple. the only "wheat" is the 2 tbsp matzoh meal...I am sure there's a wheat/gluten free alternative you can use as a binder.

and yeah, without using bones, there's no gelatine.

Terry Stonecrop said...

That looks like a good way to prepare fish. I might try that instead of my usual fish n' chips. Thanks.

Mason Canyon said...

This does sound good. Thanks for sharing.

Alan Orloff said...

Terry, I use the same recipe for gefilte fish as you -- Manischewitz. I think this year I'll try something different, like matzo rolls. I clipped a seven ingredient recipe from the paper that doesn't look too hard.

Terry Odell said...

Elena - we had a meat grinder but Mom didn't like fish, so it was never used for that.

Terry - I'm impressed you make fish n' chips

Mason - thanks to Jess

Alan - let us know if it turns out.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm always looking for a new way to prepare fish, so this sounds like a winner to me!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder