Thursday, July 23, 2009

Averbs, anyone?

Writing update: I've sent "Seeing Red" off to the publisher. It's two connected mystery short stories. Departures for me: Writing in first person, one POV, and it's a straight mystery. Thanks to Detective Hussey for his generosity in reading the draft to keep the cop stuff accurate. Sometimes a character just clicks, and that's the way it was with the detective in these stories. I'm glad they've found a home.

And, the Barnes and Noble online store now sells e-books. I'm pleased to let you know that my short stories with The Wild Rose Press are available there. I hope you'll check them out. (Ignore the bit about 'ships to US addresses only'; they're downloads. No shipping!)



On a fun note. A few posts back, I posted Elmore Leonard's 'rules' for writers, one of which was to minimize the use of adverbs. The other day, a friend sent the following, which I had to share. We used to make them up, but never ones this clever.

Keep Reading...

"I manufacture table tops," said Tom counterproductively.

"Let's have a debate about cows," Tom mooted.

"Who discovered radium?" asked Marie curiously.

"Just parsley, sage and rosemary," said Tom timelessly.

"This sea-spray will ruin all the metal-work," said Tom mistrustfully.

"I can't tell you how much it resembles a table," said Tom veritably.

"Show no mercy killing the vampire," said Tom painstakingly.

"It keeps my hair in place," said Alice with abandon.


The credit for this linguistic frippery is usually given to the prolific writer and publisher Edward L. Stratemeyer, who was responsible for the Tom Swift series of adventure novels.

Anyone want to add to the list?

For more about Tom Swifties, go here.

Be sure to come back tomorrow for another Homicide Hussey chapter.

5 comments:

Elena said...

These are TOOOO good - I'm going back to limericks.

Terry Odell said...

Hi, Elena -- I thought they were fun, too. When we tried them as kids, we never got that 'pun' factor going.

Mary Ricksen said...

I never heard of this. Cool!
Where was I?

Sheila Deeth said...

Barnes and Noble and e-books. Cool!

And those adverbs were fantastic!

Lorena said...

Somewhere I have a Tom Swift novel from childhood (in all fairness-to me-it actually was from my GRANDFATHER'S childhood and I inherited a bunch. Not from MY childhood.). Now I'm tempted to see if I can find it and look stuff up!

I guess when you're assembly-lining novels, it's tempting to throw a few one-liners in....