Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday Field Trip - Cripple Creek

Here are the promised pictures. It was an overcast, chilly morning, but the scenery was still remarkable. Hope you enjoy them. Commentary can be found in yesterday's post. Although Cripple Creek is a tourist attraction, there's still an active gold mine (conglomerate, actually) in the area.

Leftover mining stuff










"Prospector Holes" where the hopefuls would excavate enough ore to take to the assay office to see if they'd hit pay dirt.














Click on the image below to read the sign. This was part of the outdoor exhibits of a prospector's cabin, as well as the cabin of a local lady of the evening.



Have a great weekend. Don't forget my contest, and if you haven't clicked the 'like' button on the sidebar, why not take a second to feed my ego.

9 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome photos! Such a fun place to visit :)

Terry Odell said...

Yes, it was, Jemi. We'll be going back; it's not very far.

Ilona Fridl said...

Hi, Terry!

Growing up in California, I remember many old mining towns that we saw on vacations. It's great that people are keeping the history so all can see it.

Carol Kilgore said...

We were in Cripple Creek a few years ago ... still looks the same. I'm glad you had fun!

Terry Odell said...

Ilona, I grew up in California too. I wish history classes were 'on site' instead of in books.

Carol - I have a feeling there won't be a lot of changes; that's part of the ambiance. I'm glad we had fun too!

Mason Canyon said...

I think the overcast adds to the town. Kind of gives it a ghost town effect. Great photos.

Mason

Thoughts in Progress

Terry Stonecrop said...

Love the photos! Anything west of the Mississippi fascinates me, since I've never been that far.

Cripple Creek is an interesting name, too.

Fun post!

Terry Odell said...

Mason, TerryS - glad you liked them. Our train guide told us there were many stories about how Cripple Creek got its name, but told us his favorite, which involved young livestock falling down the bank, breaking legs, and how the son of a resident went to rescue one and broke his leg as well.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Excellent photos, Terry. The outhouse brings back fond memories of one of the farms we lived on when I was a kid, before my dad and uncle installed indoor plumbing. The first winter was one I'll never forget.

Patricia