Wednesday, February 01, 2012

What's Cooking Wednesday - Molasses Peanut Butter Cookies

What I'm reading: Contest entry #5 of 8

First - a request: My POV workshop will be cancelled if I don't get some more people signed up. If you know anyone who might benefit from some the workshop, I'd appreciate it if you'd send them in this direction. If the class is a "go" it'll most likely be small enough to permit some one-on-one help.

Thanks to Shelley Bell for sharing the trials and tribulations of book promotion.

A while back, someone on Google+ asked for recipes using molasses. I used to make this one for my kids (and since I don't like peanut butter it meant I wasn't tempted to eat them all--and because the kids aren't around anymore, I didn't bake them to take a picture for the blog.)

Molasses Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 4 dozen

Preheat oven to 375
½ c. shortening
½ c. sugar
½ c. light molasses
½ c. chunky peanut butter
1 egg
2 c. flour
¼ t baking soda
¼ t baking powder
¼ t salt

In mixing bowl, cream shortening & sugar; beat in molasses, peanut butter, and egg. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir into peanut butter mixture. Mix well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten dough slightly with tines of a fork.

Bake 8 minutes, or until done.

Like this post? Please share by clicking one of the links below.

4 comments:

AquarianDancer said...

Shoo Fly Pie is a good molasses recipe. It's a bit long, but not terribly complicated, so I'd suggest looking it up!

Terry Odell said...

I'm aware of Shoo Fly Pie, but never made it. Just reading the recipe makes my teeth hurt! :-)

Karen C said...

I would never have thought of adding molasses to peanut butter cookies. I'm trying to imagine the taste. Hmm - guess I'll have to make them!

Terry Odell said...

Karen -- let me know if you like them. My kids did.