Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday - Pastel de Elote

Thanks to Mike Befeler for his post yesterday. Life certainly is a balancing act. 

Once a month a group of neighbors (the ROMEOs, which stands for "Retired Old Men Eating Out") has a pot-luck supper where the spouses of said Old Men are invited to attend. I wonder if it's because some (not all, to be fair) of these men like that the wives often do the cooking.

At any rate, there was a chili theme last month, and there were the usual side dishes, but one stood out for me. I asked the woman, Sally Parda, if she'd mind sharing, and she gladly agreed. She pointed out that she adapted a cookbook recipe, and I've included her modifications. I made it according to the directions, and it was just as yummy as the one she brought. And it's one of those, "toss everything into a bowl, mix, and bake recipes, so it goes together quickly.

Pastel de Elote (Mexican Corn Pie)





Ingredients

3 Large Eggs
1 8 3/4 -oz can cream style corn
1 10-oz package frozen corn, thawed and drained. (I just dumped it onto several layers of paper towels to thaw. If you're pressed for time, run it under hot water, then drain.)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup sour cream (8oz) or 8oz Greek yogurt (my market sells the Greek yogurt in 6 oz containers, so I made up the difference with the sour cream)
4 oz shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
4 oz shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
     Our market sold a shredded "Mexican" mix of jack and cheddar, so I used that.
1 4-oz can chopped mild green chiles
1/2 tsp salt

Directions


Grease a 10" pie plate or iron skillet* with shortening, or spray with a non-stick spray.

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour into greased pan.


Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour. It's done when the custard has set. Insert a knife about 1/3 out from the center. If it's clean, it's done.




*Note: If using the iron skillet, place in oven while it is preheating...makes the outside crust crispier.

Sally's modifications: Instead of the corn meal, she used a box of Krusteaz Honey Corn Bread mix leaving out the salt. She also did not have the frozen corn to add to the mix, so she left it out.

Like this post? Please share by clicking one of the links below.

7 comments:

Jessica R. Patch said...

That looks amazing! I'm printing this one out. I bet it would go great with Taco soup too.
Thanks!

Jan Morrison said...

I'm going to try this too, but I'm going to use fresh corn that I scrape off the cobs. We have several from our last weeks CSA box of vegies and this will be a perfect way to use them! Thanks...I love anything with a Mexican flavour!

Evelyn David said...

This recipe looks really good. I'm going to give it a try.

Janet Johnson said...

Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing. :)

Juanita Olson said...

Fantastic! I once had a neighbor who made this and it was great. Never got around to asking for the recipe. Thanks!

Karen C said...

This sounds really good. I get so frustrated because no one in my family likes/appreciates corn! I'm still saving the recipe and I will find a way to use it!! Thanks, Terry

Terry Odell said...

Janet, Juanita, Karen. Happy to share. I might not have tried this but for the fact that I'd tasted it at the pot luck. And we've been enjoying it--with just the two of us here, we've had plenty of leftovers. It reheats in the microwave very nicely.