Friday, May 06, 2011

Friday Field Trip - Another Cover Quest

(In addition to my usual Friday Field Trip, it's my day over at Author Expressions, where I'm doing a little happy dancing about WHERE DANGER HIDES)

I've been working on a new Blackthorne, Inc. book, and with the release date of WHERE DANGER HIDES rapidly approaching, I'm thinking seriously about releasing my indie-published version some time soon as well. My rationale? WHERE DANGER HIDES is hard cover only. There are a lot of people who won't/can't fork over that kind of money, so I thought I could give them an option. But when you're going "indie" you don't have an art department designing your cover.

The new book is DANGER IN DEER RIDGE and it takes place virtually in my own back yard. So, step one in the cover process, just as it was for FINDING SARAH, was to see if I had any images that might lend themselves to the book. Saves paying for them! I leave it to the cover designer to pick the best bits and pieces and turn them into a cover.

So, today's trip is slightly farther afield than last week, but we're still in the Colorado Mountains.


































4 comments:

Carol Kilgore said...

I love the first sunset photo and the next to last photo with the long shadows. You have all kinds of deer. I love watching them.

Terry Odell said...

Carol - they're all mule deer. We'll see what my cover guy says. A lot will depend on the dimensions of the cover, room for title and my name (of course) and aspects I'm totally unaware of--which is why I pay him to make the cover!

Maryannwrites said...

All the pictures are great. I like the last one of the deer as well as the next to the last photo with the shadows. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Mom` said...

Great photos Terry