Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Writers' Police Academy

Since we're leaving at the crack of dawn tomorrow, today we'll be busy taking care of all the last minute preparations. It looks like it'll be a great experience. I mean, how many conferences have you been to where they send the following information about what to expect?

Prepare yourself mentally. Don’t be shocked if someone carrying a machine gun passes you in the hallway. There will be shouting, sounds of gunfire, and bursts of adrenaline!

During the handcuffing and arrest workshops instructors will be demonstrating various techniques. You may be called upon to participate. This is not the time to show off your black belt or ground-fighting skills. Do not, do not, do not do anything other than what you’re told to do by the instructors. The life you save may be your own…

Cameras will be allowed, but you absolutely must ask permission before taking photos and videos during any of the workshops. Some of the officers work undercover assignments and a photograph could jeopardize their safety. Yours too if you snap a photo without permission… :)

And if you want to see some of the workshop offerings ...



• Firearms
• FATS (Firearms Training Simulator)
• Arson investigation
• Homicide investigation
• Crime lab training in a real crime lab
• Developing prints in a fuming chamber
• Impression evidence - making molds and castings
• Fingerprinting
• Booking
• DUI Investigation
• Fire department and EMS response
• Jail and prison searches
(We have real jail cells on site)
• Patrol cars
• Motorcycle
• SWAT
• Handcuffing and arrest techniques
• Defensive tactics
(learn striking techniques against live attackers)
• Pepper spray
• Taser
• Autopsy
• Explosives
• High-risk traffic stops
• Building entry and searches
• Police tools and equipment
(Touch, feel, hold, see, and wear actual police equipment)
• Accident reconstruction

Tomorrow's post will be a repeat of the first Homicide - Hussey offering. You don't know about Homicide - Hussey? You HAVE to come back.

(And while I'm away, any extra help you can give the blog--sharing, tweeting, linking, whatever--would be appreciated. Or you can go to Smashwords or the Kindle Store and look at my short stories.)

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like it's going to be a great conference, very interesting and entertaining. Have fun.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Wynter said...

Wow - that sounds awesome. I will be looking for a recap after;-)

Terry Odell said...

Mason - sure hope so.

Wynter, of course I will, but you might have to wait a bit, since I'll get home and immediately have to work on prep for the Emerald City conference. Only a few days down time.

GunDiva said...

I can't wait!! Though I'm not leaving until early afternoon, which means I won't get in until almost midnight.

When I signed up, it seemed like it would never get here, and here I am obsessing over my to-do list at work. Yikes! I'd better get back to it.

See you in NC

Terry Odell said...

I hate packing. I know there will be something vital I've forgotten. We have a 6:30 AM flight. Ugh. And we don't live 20 minutes away from the airport anymore.

Shannon said...

Wow, I so wish that I could go along to that. That sounds like a really terrific idea.

Jemi Fraser said...

That is SO awesome!!! What great warnings :) Enjoy!

Terry Odell said...

Shannon, Lee Lofland organized this to go along with his blog--he things writers should know the real truth so their writing can be more accurate.

Jemi - thanks!