Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Field Trip - Cripple Creek

What I'm reading: Mona, by Lawrence Block

Reminder - today is the last day to leave a comment on Wednesday's post and have a chance at a copy of When Danger Calls. If you haven't, take a minute. You've got nothing to lose, right?

Wednesday, after we chatted with the contractor about house fixes (and things are still on schedule for an April 22nd closing!), we decided to head up toward Cripple Creek.

We never got as far as the "city" itself, which probably saved us a bunch of money. The hubster had just finished a book I'd picked up at the Pikes Peak Library program called The King of Cripple Creek, and he's always more interested in history anyway. So, when he saw the sign for the Heritage Center, he pulled in. (Or maybe he just needed to pee).

At any rate, we wandered the center learned about the area and the gold rush days. They've still got some active mines, including the Molly Kathleen, which was the first openly owned by a woman. They do tours, and that's another thing on the hubster's to do list.



Once we absorbed what the Heritage Center had to offer, we wandered outside and took some pictures. Although it's not like I've never been to the mountains, it's still breathtaking to see such vistas, especially after living in Florida for over 3 decades. Hope you like them. I'm sure if Jason had been with us, they'd be spectacular, but you're stuck with me and my little point and shoot for most of them.


















And, of course, there has to be at least one critter shot if the hubster's along -- my camera can't get this close.

15 comments:

Carol Kilgore said...

Cool photos. I've been to Cripple Creek before, and I remember the mines. Wouldn't want to go into one, though, even if it's named the Molly Kathleen.

Terry Odell said...

Carol - hubster will definitely want to go down the mine. It's 1000 feet. There's a good model of it at the Heritage Center.

Sheila Deeth said...

Oh, we'd have to get that critter shot too. Look interesting.

Terry Odell said...

Sheila, it's not just getting the shot, it's being able to identify the species for the hubster. It could be any one of 5 according to his field guide.

Annabelle Ambrosio said...

Should be interesting to see the mines. Is that gold? Maybe they'll let you take some samples home!!
Ann Ambrosio

Nancy J. Cohen said...

We loved Cripple Creek. We went in the gold mine which is very impressive. I remember a rather amusing sign by the lift shaft. See if it's still there. And we did the musical melodrama in town too which is an experience not to miss. It's beautiful territory. On our way back to Colorado Springs, we had to pull over for a hail storm.

Terry Odell said...

Ann - yes, that was a major gold mining area.

Nancy - I know we'll do the mine tour, and have plans to visit the town itself. We would have gone on, but it was getting late, and we want to be able to spend more time.

And yes, the weather here is unpredictable and variable. Yesterday it was t-shirt weather; they're saying it could snow tonight.

Terry Stonecrop said...

Gold mines! That place sounds better all the time. Nice pix, not bad at all. Love the critter.

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, "other" Terry. Kind of hard to take a bad picture with that scenery.

Mason Canyon said...

Love the photos. I think you did a wonderful job. Sounds like a great place. Don't think I'd want to go into a mine right now (just the thoughts). But, after reading this I'll be going to bed with a song in my head "Up on Cripple Creek." Oh well, maybe it'll help me sleep. :) Always enjoy the field trips, even when I'm late getting there.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Terry Odell said...

Mason - glad you liked them, and in blog-land, it's hardly ever late.

Wynter said...

Cool photos. What is the front of the Heritage Center building made of? Looks strange.

Terry Odell said...

Wynter - it's stone. Camera angle wasn't the best.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I took the ride up to Cripple Creek on a gambling bus from Colorado Springs one time and thought the trip was the best part.

The only gold mine tour I ever took was down in Oatman, Arizona, but it was excellent (and a similar mine made its way into my second mystery). No matter what we do and where we go, there are opportunities to use what we see and hear when we write.

Terry Odell said...

Pat - so true. I'm looking at the first chapter of my new book and it's already full of my recent experiences in Colorado. (And I remember that mining scene)