Wednesday, February 03, 2010

It's Award Time Again

First, congrats to Mason Canyon, who won my impromptu drawing. I fed all the correct entries (had to mention WDH) into a random number generator and Mason's name came up.Mason, email me with your mailing address and I'll get your souvenir totebag from a multi-author book signing in the mail.

Since awards have been in the spotlight, with the Grammys (I didn't watch),Miss America (didn't watch that either), and the nominations for Oscars, I realized I've been remiss in thanking those who have given Terry's Place awards recently. Thanks to all And yes, I'll get to some writing "meat" later in this post.

First, from Maryann Miller of "It's Not All Gravy", the Circle of Friends Award.



From Lorel Clayton of "I'm Blogging Drowning Here":



And from Patricia Stoltey



From Marianne Evans, "A Minute With Maryann"




Part of the deal for accepting these awards is passing them on. Some have other rules, but right now, with 2 workshop presentations to prepare, plus dealing with all the house-selling stuff, my brain isn't able to handle more than just acknowledging bloggers. I think it took me longer to prepare this post, with all the images and links, than the one about my workshop, which I'll start here and finish tomorrow. So, in addition to the shout-outs above, I'm also directing you to "Just Jemi" and to Crystal Clear Proofing. I've added everyone I've mentioned to my sidebar, but since I didn't play all the games, I'm not displying these awards there. I do have a rudimentary sense of honor, after all.

I've been working on my presentation for the plotting workshop I'm giving on Feb. 13th in Jacksonville. Or is it a 'non-plotting' workshop.

I've set up my basic speaker notes, and decided that after some interactive idea-sharing, I'd use Hidden Fire to demonstrate the 'idea board/tracking board' process I use. Of course, nothing's ever easy, because when I wrote Hidden Fire, I didn't use this system. So, I'm recreating a new storyboard.

Rather than scare everyone with a finished product, I'm just writing the basic scenes on my sticky notes, and the group will work together to see how a very basic idea can evolve into a plot.

My starting point - what some might call a rudimentary outline:

H/H trying to get on with their lives
They meet/interface/at cross purposes
Bad stuff happens
They fix it and have a HEA.

From there, I do some sketchy character GMC:

Randy wants to be a good cop.
Sarah wants to have a successful business.
Randy and Sarah want each other.

Come back tomorrow for a little elaboration!

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Wow, thanks so much for the tote bag (one of the items I love to collect). I'll email soon.

Congratulations on the awards. Well deserved. Life does have a way of sidetracking us sometimes with day to day things we must do for work. Sounds like you're busy for your workshop, but well organized. Good luck with that and thanks again.

Maryannwrites said...

Wow, you really made out in the awards department. It's like the Oscars, except we don't all have to get dressed up. LOL

Congrats.

Carol Kilgore said...

You're going to be in a real whirl for a time. Enjoy.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Cool tote bag!

Your rudimentary outline is about as far as mine ever get! But you know I'm an admirer of that storyboard of yours...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, Mason (and I'll get your prize in the mail tomorrow -- there's a little more than the tote)

Maryann - Thanks! Yeah, the barefoot awards ceremony has its merits.

Carol - thanks - things are hectic here - it's nice to stop and breathe and see what I'm doing is appreciated. Or at least noticed.

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats on all the awards and thanks for the shout out!

I love your outline - that pretty much works for my ms too :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

Congratulations on all the awards, Terry.

Terry Odell said...

Elizabeth: Yesterday's guest, Dara/Wynter made the tote bags (I think Dara did it)

Jemi - can't get any more basic than that!

Patricia - thanks. And thanks again to all who gave them to me.