Monday, August 24, 2009

40 Years, But Who's Counting?

What I'm reading: Master of Surrender, by Karin Tabke


August 24, 1969

It's been one heck of a ride. Looking back, this was my post one year ago today.

Since then, we've dealt with me deciding to quit my part-time day job to spend more time writing--right before the economy tanked. Followed by your job disappearing, and deciding it was time to pull up stakes and move--right before the housing market stagnated. Somehow, we've managed to maintain our optimism that everything will work out. You've been there when I've wondered why I'm still plugging away at writing, reminding me it's because I have so much fun doing it, whether or not I land that next book deal (although I know you keep hoping for the movie rights.)

Today, we're pushing the reality of our "normal" (whatever that is) lives aside as we escape to 24 hours of magic. Tomorrow, when we come home again, it'll be back to dealing with the normal stresses, but we're dealing with them together.

And to those who ask what the secret is to so many years of marriage: It's simple. Separate bathrooms.

Please come back tomorrow for my guest author, Drue Allen, who's talking about Baseball and Breakout Novels. You won't want to miss what she has to say (or a chance at winning a great prize in her contest.)

So, faithful readers, today, I hope you'll forgive my strictly personal content. However, you can find me here and here, and I do hope you'll pop over. And don't forget there's still another week to enter MY contest. ARCs of When Danger Calls are very few in number. On Wednesday, it'll be back to writing as usual. I've got updates, plus a recap of Saturday night's DUI Checkpoint. But today is for me and the hubster.

9 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations! Enjoy your day with your hubby...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Terry Odell said...

Thanks so much, Elizabeth.

Sheila Deeth said...

Still giggling about separate bathrooms. And yes, we have them too, and I really recommend them. Enjoy the day. Congratulations!

HODGEPODGESPV said...

happy anniversary! enjoy a wonder day of sharing each other!

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, Sheila--
When our son moved out and our daughters stopped having to share a bathroom, mornings were much more quiet and peaceful, so when they left, we figured we might as well give it a try. And we've never turned back.

Hodgepodge - thanks so much.

Cate Masters said...

Congrats on your 40th! What a milestone. My hubby and I are coming up on our 33rd. Hard to believe. Everyone said it wouldn't last!
Hope you have a wonderful celebration.

Laurann Dohner said...

Congratulations! Have a great day.

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, Lauran -- we did. Come back Wednesday for the report!

Kathy said...

My husband and I hit 38 years in Feb. While we haven't done anything elegant. We have been several places on Uncle Sam and the US Army. But I wanted to comment on you hotel experience. I attended a writer's conference at a fancy hotel in Dallas recently I expected one hack of a room for the price. I was disappointed no fridge in the room. I thought surely if motels had fridges hotels would and ice bin was empty that morning down the hall. Not the best experience I had and was really disappointed. If it hadn't meant leaving home around 5:30 or 6:00 am on Saturday I could have driven home and gone back the next day lol. Just the idea of crawling out of bed any earlier didn't appeal to me though. Love the posts and hope you have bunches of more years.