Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's Not the Package, it's the Contents

What I'm reading: Mortal Prey, by John Sandford

On Monday, I mentioned I wasn't thrilled with the cover for the Cerridwen Press Free Reads. I didn't think it represented the kind of stories (not only mine; I've read the others as well), but the authors have little say in covers, and for this program, we were totally out of the game.

But, one shouldn't judge a book by its cover. And this was truly brought home with Monday's night's episode of "Britain's Got Talent."

Now, I don't watch much television, and what little I watch has never included these talent shows. Never. (OK, maybe I admit to watching The Gong Show a few times way back when.) I rarely watch YouTube clips. As a matter of fact, if I do click on one and the timer thingie is more than 2 minutes, I usually pass. However, I got a link from several different sources, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I was very glad I did. And as much as I was impressed with the talent, it was the judges' reactions that struck the deeper chord. Yes, the looks on their faces were priceless, and that made me feel good. But it also made me feel bad, because they were obviously expecting a rousing round of ridicule. Sad that they couldn't be open-minded from the beginning. I wonder if this gave them an attitude adjustment. I definitely hope so (although I still won't be watching these shows.)

The clip is here: It's worth your time.

Tomorrow -- Yep. Another spin with Homicide-Hussey. He's got a great Hot Pursuit story to tell. Be sure to come back.

3 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

I saw this, and put it on the loop, amazing and it made me cry.
She's got one unbelievable talent!

Terry Odell said...

I found it extremely moving as well, Mary.

But (and NO disrespect for the woman's amazing talent), I wonder if part of the trigger was seeing the judges being proven so wrong -- or do I just have a soft spot for the underdog.

I kept thinking, 'You show 'em, gal!'

Ray said...

Terry I think your reaction has carried around the world. The show is very much like American Idol. Many of those in the initial auditions can't sing. Unfortunately Simon humilites them. If he told them they couldn't sing a little nicer. There are family members of mine who enjoy that portions of the program. The only part of the show I watch is the final episode if I remember to turn it on.

The judges aren't the only ones who go in for ridicule. Twice there were some really terrible singers who made it almost to the final episodes.

The audience might have felt sorry or they could have been leading the poor singers on. I know that Howard Stern told his audience to vote for at least one of them to take any hint of legitimacy out of the voting.

Ray