Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The dreaded synopsis, continued.

What I'm reading: Payment in Kind by J.A. Jance (along with Daphne and Touch of Magic reads).

What I'm working on: A marketing plan (ugh) and the dreaded synopsis.

And check out today's post at The Graveyard Shift. Agent Janet Reid discusses blogging and promotion.


Yesterday we met Dalton. Miri's a little more troublesome. It must be because I tend to like my heroes a whole lot more than my heroines. Even though all of my early books began with the heroines, somehow, the books turned into "he" books. True, in a romance, they're usually almost equal--but there's usually one who's more equal than the other, and for me, it's become clear it's the hero. Must be why my next books begin with the hero front and center. Do you prefer "he" books or "she" books?

Anyway -- here's Miri. Suggestions? Comments? Leave you cold?

Street-smart Miri Chambers wants nothing more than to help everyone at the Galloway House shelter find a new and productive life. It's more than a job. Galloway House saved her and her sister years ago when they escaped an impoverished and abusive life in New Orleans. So when her sister begs Miri to crash a black-tie gala to make sure the secrets of their less-than-savory past remain buried, she accepts the challenge. To deny her sister would be like not breathing.

Although Miri's left her street days behind, some instincts won't go away. When she's snooping in the host's study, confronted by two men who obviously have no business being there either, she reflexively lifts one's wallet. In the darkened room, all she knows is the wallet's owner is Texan and smells delightfully like sandalwood. Old habits die hard, and a little insurance never hurts, even if you're not sure it's insurance when you take it.

2 comments:

Lara Dien said...

Sounds like a good story, Terry. What was she doing in that office?

As to he vs she--I don't have a preference, either reading or writing. In fact, I've started books (writing) thinking it was one person's and then realized several chapters (pages in case of Fortuneteller) that it was really the other's. In fact, with Dreamwalk, I didn't realize it was Adam's story until I started revising it, and my villain, who'd been protesting his innocence all along, turned out to be right. Poor Adam, his prime suspect is now out of jail and he's about to find out who it really is .... (yes, this is unpublished and yes, this is all happening behind the scenes. If it's ever published, you'll have to go to my website to find out what almost happened. *G*)

Where was I? Besides on WAYYYY too much caffeine today? Oh, he/she. I also like it when it's somewhat balanced--you know it's one person's story, but both of them make such changes (pick a Karen Rose, any one, for example) that you'd be hard pressed to say whose it really is (as a reader).

My four cents worth ....

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, Lara -
You know, that's perhaps one of the (many) pitfalls of being a post-manuscript synopsis writer. Not until I had to put the inner conflict into summary did I see that although this is really Dalton's book, because he has the most to lose, it's actually Miri who changes more.

As Deb Dixon pointed out, in a romance you've got two ALMOST equal protagonists, but one will edge out the other just a tad.

Sigh.