Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Civilian Police Academy - Over for now

What I'm reading: The Price by Joan Johnston

What I'm writing: Plot hole repairs

Last night was our final Civilian Police Academy class. It was a ceremony attended by the Sheriff, the Undersheriff as well as many of the department heads. The Sheriff spoke, thanking us for taking the class, and reminded everyone of the problems our community has trying to keep crime under control. Although it wasn't the speech I'd expected, it did pound home the point that the law enforcement community is overworked, underpaid, and under-appreciated, especially by the local media. (I think if personnel from the local news staff took this course, they'd change their tune). But then, anyone who knows me knows my opinion of the media is that they never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

We got lapel pins, keychains, and certificates:


We also had our pictures taken with the Sheriff. Maybe I'll post it when they send it.

Everyone in the class could see firsthand how dedicated the Orange County Sheriffs Office deputies are, and we have a lot more appreciation for their hard work.

And, of course, we had a great time getting to see some of their toys, too!

There's an Alumnae Academy that meets once a month. I think I'll be there! But next on my to-do list is my ridealong. I got the call yesterday, and my date is June 1st. I haven't mentioned it to my husband yet -- he reads my blog so I like to leave him a surprise or two. Besides, he made a point of NOT telling me he noticed my new slacks and shoes last night until after we got home.


2 comments:

Dara Edmondson said...

Congrats on completing the class. I'm with you on law enforcement being under-everythinged! They put their lives on the line every day. Being married to a corrections lieutenant, I am furious that the county has put off even a cost of living raise for 3 years. O wosh more people would take that class and learn what they go through

Terry Odell said...

Thanks, Dara, and I'm with you all the way. Working for a not-for-profit agency isn't a whole lot better. We haven't seen a raise since my husband started working for one over 5 years ago, and it's doubtful we'll see one before he retires. Then again, he's not putting his life on the line.

But the thought that those who are part of the SWAT team or the Hazardous Devices Team pull full deputy duty PLUS their specialty are doing it for a bonus of $13 a week really sucks.