Monday, June 21, 2010

Counting Down to Nowhere to Hide

What I'm reading: Fantasy in Death, by J.D. Robb


What with the moving, the renovations, and everything else that interrupts routine, I neglected the calendar. I really have to get my white board mounted on my office wall. It's less than a month to the release of my next book, "NOWHERE TO HIDE" from The Wild Rose Press. I have a million things to do. Sorry if this post is interrupted, but I've got to dash for a bit. While I'm gone, maybe you can check out my recipes for Key Lime Pie over at Mystery Lovers' Kitchen. Or poke around the Coming Soon link on my website. I'll be back as soon as I can.

......

Oh, Good. Hi, everyone!

Terry's off running errands and she left her computer on. My name's Colleen McDonald, and I'm going to sneak in for a bit. Don't say anything to her, okay?


People have asked me what it's like to star in a romance novel. Well, first you pay your dues. I was a minor character in Terry's first novel, FINDING SARAH, and had a few lines, a few scenes, but nothing major. However, I didn't complain, hit my marks, was always willing to do revisions even if it meant my shining moments were in the deleted files folder on her computer. In return, she gave me my own book.

It's been a long time coming. I had to move across the country, and she had to change publishers. I had to pretend I came from another town, and she changed the names of my friends back there, but anyone who's read FINDING SARAH will probably recognize that "Andy" is really "Randy."

After a lot of revising and a lot of waiting, I finally got my shot at center stage.

Let me tell you, it's a lot easier being a secondary character. When you're the star, sure you get to hang with a hunk (although the LAST thing I wanted when I moved away from Oregon to Florida was a man, especially one in uniform). On the other hand, there are some steamy sex scenes, and he wasn't wearing his uniform in those!

For this book, I had to agree to be pretty naïve in the bedroom department. I had my doubts, but it turned out great, because my co-star, Graham Harrigan, really knew what he was doing and Terry made sure he "taught" me well. We had plenty of practice for that one. Now THOSE rewrites are fun.

Little did I know that while I was in between gigs, she was busy digging up things she calls, Goals, Motivation, and Conflict. Especially the conflict. She threw all this back story angst at me – she actually SHOT me between books. I mean, that's going a bit far, don't you think?

On top of that, she saddled me with this dotty landlady, plus a complicated mystery encompassing three counties. And because she 'retired' me from my cop status before the book started, I had to play second fiddle to Graham, who was on his very first case as a detective. Actually, he was still in training, and I did what I could to make sure he looked good. Professionally, that is. Physically, he looks VERY good.

Oops – Terry is coming back. Gotta run before she catches me. Never get an author angry—they can really make you pay!

I'm back. So sorry to leave you like that. I trust you had fun checking out the pie recipes, and maybe learned a little about NOWHERE TO HIDE. Hmmmm... wonder why my chair is warm. Must be the sunshine--it can get strong up here in the mountains. Guess I should have closed the blinds.

Be sure you come back tomorrow when my guest is Lynda Hilburn. She's going to be talking about the allure of the bad boy … see you then.

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

(Colleen, nice to meet you. I'm glad Terry gave you your own story. Looking forward to reading it.)

Oh hi Terry, noticed you're reading Fantasy in Death. I've got hooked on listening to all of Eve Dallas' adventures on audio. The narrator brings all the characters to life so. Looking forward to your guest blogger tomorrow.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Terry Odell said...

Mason - I'm hooked on the In Death series, but haven't tried them on audio.

Carol - glad you liked it. Tell your friends!

Hart Johnson said...

teehee--Tricksey heroine you've got there, taking over the keyboard when you are off running errands!

You mention COUNTDOWN, but when is it actaully OUT?

Terry Odell said...

WT -- release date is July 16.

Debra St. John said...

Colleen, I am intrigued by your story...so glad Terry decided to tell it! And a man out of anything - a uniform, whatever - is yummy!

Terry Stonecrop said...

Haha! Very funny. I like her attitude. Some great lines.

Liana Laverentz said...

Funny, Colleen, from the blurb it says you were trying to get rid of him by beating him at his own game...somewhere along the line it changed to making sure he looked good professionally...hmmmm...could that have anything to do with how good he looked out of uniform and those things he "taught" you? We'll have to wait until July 16 to find out!!

Colleen McDonald said...

It's me. Colleen. Sneaking in while Terry's out of the room. Debra, you sound like my kind of person! Hope you'll read the whole story

TerryS - thanks. You pick up a lot being a street cop, even in a small town.

Liana--what can I say. The guy had some very special charms. Sometimes the old cliche is right--if you can't beat 'em....