Thursday, July 03, 2008

Windows and Waiting

Well, my office is still a disaster area, I'm still working on contest evaluations, and I'm still watching Wimbledon. Tonight, the Sheriff's Office is doing a DUI saturation. Unlike the previous checkpoints, this will just be increased patrols, but there's a command post set up at the FHP office, and the alumni will be keeping the LEO's fed.

I can't decide if it would be better to 'start from scratch' on the office thing. Go through all my stacks of papers, make lots of neatly organized file folder labels, take everything that's already on shelves down and find new places for everything. Well, actually I have 'decided' because of course that's the smart thing to do. But it's also so daunting. And I'm excellent at procrastinating those daunting tasks.

However, right now I'm stuck home in one of those 'service call windows.' You know, "Someone will be there between 8 and 11." After we got our new cable box, nothing works the way it used to. I called for instructions, and all I got was, "Hmmm....it should be able to do that, but I can't find any directions to tell you how. We'll send a technician out."

I never had trouble programming my old VCR. I don't watch a lot of tv, but there are times when the few shows I want to watch are on at the same time. I've always taped one and watched the other. No can do on this new box--at least not without someone coming up and showing me. What I fear will be, "oh, the service you've got doesn't include that feature; you'll have to pay $XX more a month." Which I see no reason to do. My old system worked fine, I don't watch enough television to justify paying more. Sure, my picture might not be as crisp and clear as it could be, but it's only a television show. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck with the office!! Too bad I'm not there to organize for you... :)

Terry Odell said...

Yes, I agree. I defer to your expertise in this area.

L.A. Mitchell said...

Hi Terry,
I'm in the same predicament with our VCR and its inability to peacefully coexist with our digital cable. It's an imperfect solution, but I catch most of the stuff I miss online now.

Good luck with your office :)

Terry Odell said...

LA, once the cable guy confirmed what I thought--that the TV and VCR could not operate through the box so I could tape a show while watching another (and telling him I knew the "now" thing was DVRs, but I wasn't ready to go that route since I'm not into enough television to worry about it),
I simply had him move the box to our other TV, which we rarely use, except for Netflix movies.

If I should want to watch tv in that room, the picture will probably be crisper, but meanwhile, I know what I'm doing on my old set and we're still saving the $10/month. I think--haven't seen the bill!

I've got my comfort level back