Sunday, January 27, 2008

Book Signing Behavior

What I've been reading: Morning Star by Micqui Miller; My Shadow, My Love by Sharon Horton.

What I'm writing: Workshop outlines and a mystery short story, as yet (as always) untitled.

I returned from Colorado Springs to find 8 Rita entires waiting for me. I was pleased that I didn't know the authors so I won't have trouble being objective, or have to recuse myself from any of the reads. However, I won't be reporting titles here.

Yesterday a group of 6 romance authors from the Central Florida Romance writers gathered for a book signing at a local chain store. It was nice being out and about with 'grownups' after 10 days having fun with my grandson. He's adorable, but at 5 weeks, not much of a conversationalist.


Book signings are interesting experiences. Some people go out of their way to avoid even eye contact. Others smile, but walk past. It's obvious they don't want to feel any obligation to buy, but speaking from my experience and that of others, authors like it when you stop by. Yesterday we met a graphic artist, a children's book author of his first book, students, kids, moms and dads. It's fun to chat, to discuss reading and books, and we really don't expect to sell a book to every person who stops by. But we love to say hello. We'll even give directions to the restrooms if you ask.

4 comments:

Katie Reus said...

I've always loved book signings! It's a great way to stock up on cool Christmas presents and to meet authors I love! Sorry I missed the signing yesterday, I tried to be there but it just wasn't in the cards :)

Macy O'Neal said...

I'm sorry I missed yesterday. I had a conflict. I'd have much rather been there. I hope to catch you next time.

LK Hunsaker said...

I find that having free excerpts (or bookmarks, etc) to hand out lessens the tension people have of thinking you expect them to buy from you. It turns it into a "look what I have to offer" more than a "come buy my book" experience and people are more willing to stop and chat.

They may not buy anything that day, but they are likely to at least browse your excerpt and maybe pass it along.

Terry Odell said...

Agreed, LK -- And I did pass out my chapter booklets as well as postcards with covers and blurbs. Here's hoping there's a trickle down effect.