Monday, January 21, 2008

Generation Gap. Wiis and Miis

We've been empty-nesters for years, and none of our children lives nearby. I work at home, don't watch a lot of television, and confess to being out of touch with some (okay, most) of the latest trends. However, this past week, I've been staying with my son and daughter-in-law and new grandson (have I mentioned that enough lately?) which is heightening my awareness of the thirty-something generation.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with my daughter and son-in-law who also live in Colorado. They insisted I move with the times and play Wii games. To be honest, I really had absolutely no clue what they meant when they said, "come over and we'll play some we." So, "we" is really Wii. I remember Pong, Space Invaders and Tetris. And the original Mattel hand-held football and baseball games with moving red blips.

I was ushered down to their home theater with its overhead projector and their hundred-inch television screen for some serious gaming. First, I had to have an identity—my "Mii". Once that was established, we went bowling. Now, I bowled on the occasional date back in college, so at least I understood the game. Once I got the hang of bowling with a remote, I didn't fare too badly. After that, it was boxing, where my son-in-law had the rare opportunity to whack me around. We tied on that one, and the game was a very nice workout, requiring a beer.

After a short stint at tennis, where I had trouble figuring out how I could play doubles and be both players, we moved on to Guitar Hero. HUGE generation gap here, because although I once played a mediocre folk guitar, like everyone else in the sixties, I think I recognized two of the playlist offerings. My lack of coordination surfaced again – all that right and and left hand stuff, plus my dim muscle memory wanted to "play" the left hand, not just keep fingers on buttons.

Later, we met another couple and their fifteen-year-old son for dinner. The men talked about work, my daughter and the other wife talked about mutual interests, and I, the oldest at the table, was engaged in conversation with the son about my exploits of the afternoon.

I wonder if he's ever played Pong or Space Invaders. I was good at those.

10 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

I offered to play X-Box with my 12 year old step son when he was bored one day. He just laughed and read a book instead. Apparently, he doesn't think I'm "X-box savy".

He's probably right.

Terry Odell said...

Umm.. what's an X-box?

Macy O'Neal said...

It's one of those video game things -- kind of like a Wii, but not. I told the step-son I'd play Halo (a name in his pile of games) and he laughted out loud.

Yeah..... Uh, it probably would have been pretty funny if he'd let me play. I think he's afraid for me to touch the controllers.

Nicole said...

What mom didn't say, is that I beat Tim in the next boxing match. He hasn't beaten me yet!!!

Dara said...

I HATE video gaming. My 18 year old has a Wii and pays non-stop until I make him do something else - like crack a book - he's in college, for God's sake! When I ask him to go the gym with me he says he'll play something on the Wii. Yeah - right - that's aerobic!

Terry Odell said...

Dara -- I will tell you that the Wii boxing IS aerobic. So much so that I needed a beer afterward. Of course, probably not what you'd want your son to be doing. But I wouldn't use it as an excuse for a workout.

Katie Reus said...

I'm gaming 'challenged' and I'm in my twenties so I'm fairly impressed w/ you!! I've tried Wii once and it was a shameful experience :)

Julie S said...

I really hate video games but I must admit I'm intrigued by the Wii. Not enough to play it, but intrigued, nonetheless.

mimi said...

My two kids are frothing at the mouth to get their hands on a Wii. They're going to have to pay half, though, lest they fight over the flippin' thing. We'll all play, esp. when we buy the Dance Dance Revolution pad for it!

I can rock at Galaxian and Frogger. Thanks to "retro" games, DS plays both, too!

Terry Odell said...

Hi, Mimi -- nice when the kids are old enough to buy their own stuff. I think I've seen that dancing thingie--if it's what I think it is, the Y had it set up in the mornings for the kids who arrived early before their summer camp sessions.

I had enough trouble with the Guitar one; my feet are even less connected to my brain than my hands, so I doubt I'd be very good at dancing stuff.