Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Continuing Saga of the Postal System SNAFU

What I'm reading: Rita entry 4 of 8

What I'm writing: Mystery short.

Anyone who read my early January posts might remember I had some trouble with the US Postal system after my computer lost its internet connection one day between printing a pre-paid shipping label and confirming the charge. I was unaware my card hadn't been charged and the label had been cancelled; I thought I took care of it by returning to the post office and paying on site.


Apparently there is no communication between the on-line and physical postal service systems. Although the clerks at my post office assured me I could pay for the existing label, the on-line people are saying no.

So, I guess I'm now a federal felon (good thing I wasn't aware of this when I had my Voice Stress Analysis). I tried to print another label yesterday to send my son a priority mail envelope and was told my account was cancelled until I paid the $4.60 for the label I'd already paid for.

I sent yet another email explaining that I indeed HAD paid for the label, and last last night got the reply: Any transactions made at the post office will not be reflected on your online account. If you are showing a balance due, it means that the label you printed was shipped and delivered. We do require payment before you will be able to continue to use your account.

I responded with a slightly-okay, definitely--stronger-worded response and I'm stuck waiting for their reply. I don't have high hopes for this one. But tell me. What part of "I have already paid" can't they understand?


Katie Reus said...

Oh, I'm sure they understand, they just don't care. I love dealing w/ Fedex or DHL vs the US Post Office. I fear you're probably going to have to cough up the money you already paid ;)

Dara Edmondson said...

Gotta hate those realms that exist only online with no human counterpart - drives me nuts!