Tuesday, December 06, 2011

An Australian Trip

I'm pleased to  welcome Mel Teshco to Terry's Place. Mel writes sizzling paranormal and contemporary erotica for Ellora’s Cave and Harlequin Nocturne Bites. Stone-Cold Lover was her first book in the Winged & Dangerous series featuring gargoyle characters living in the harsh Australian environment, and she’s since written 10 more books with characters from this diverse landscape. Today, she's taking us Down Under. Be sure to leave a comment, because she's giving away a book.

But before you read on, please pop over to Jenny Milchman's blog, where I'm her guest today. I'm talking about the challenges of getting out of the box. Australia won't be going anywhere while you're gone!

I’ve just come back from a ‘trip’ to my brother’s cattle farm (more a hobby farm of around 220 acres) where he lives with stunning views of the surrounding hills and in relative solitude with his wife and son. In Australia, driving a full day or more to go and visit a loved one or friend isn’t anything unusual. It takes around 13 hours for me to drive from the Sunshine Coast/Wide Bay in Queensland, to my brother’s farm interstate, New South Wales. And I can tell you, it gives me great appreciation for the seemingly endless procession of truck drivers who drive far longer than that at any given time.

I’ve spent much of my life along the East coast of Australia, from the breathtaking beauty of the Buchan caves and its beautiful, rolling green hills where the winter’s morning air has your breath puff out like smoke, to the eerily beautiful taipan snakes that slither through the endless sugarcane fields of Mackay and further north.

Is it any wonder I adore setting my stories in Australia? The country offers such a diverse landscape: snow, desert, beaches, rainforest, farmland and mountains, often with drought, floods and fire. Then there’s its creatures – deadly snakes, dingos, kangaroos, wombats, koalas and for the paranormal lovers – bunyips and big foot. I’ve even used crypto zoology in my panther, shape shifter story Identity Shift.

Speaking of which, I’m offering a reader who makes a comment a copy of either my self-published story Identity Shift, or any one of my gargoyle books from the Winged & Dangerous series.

Identity Shift can be purchased from Amazon, Smashwords and AllRomance. You can track down all Mel's books at  her website and blog

Like this post? Please share by clicking one of the links below.

13 comments:

DeeLuLu said...

I would LOVE to read one of Mel's books!! Just checked out her website and blog...the reads look spicy hot!!

jders612@comcast.net

Juanita Olson said...

My first introduction to Australia was through reading Harlequin books years ago. I want tell you how many years ago except to say a lot of years have passed. Some day maybe I will get a chance to visit this wonderful place. I would love one of Mel's books. Her website & blogs are interesting and hot looking.

Karen C said...

Enjoyed the post, Mel. It was very easy to visualize your Australia from your descriptions - loved it. And, since I live in Texas, I can relate to long travel times (although not 13 hours!).

I checked your website and blogsite, too - books sound really good!

kacbooks(at)hotmail(dot)com

Jodi said...

Your posts are always interesting, Terry. Aw, Australia. I have been most fortunate to study abroad and later, travel extensively, but, unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to make it "down under." Someday...

Joelle Walker

Mel Teshco said...

Hi DeeLuLu

thanks so much! I like to think my reads are hot - nothing like a smokin' hot hero =)

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Juanita,

Harlequin does a lot of great stories set in Australia, some of my best writing friends do brilliant Aussie heroes/heroines (Robyn Grady, Rachel Bailey).
I hope you get a chance to visit =)

Mel Teshco said...

Karen I'd love to learn more about Texas - another fascinating place!

Thanks for taking a look at my blog and website =)

Mel Teshco said...

Jodi sounds like you've had a lot of great travel experiences =)

Down Under is definitely worth the visit (and then over to NZ)

Kylie Griffin said...

Eww on the taipan snakes, Mel! I can take or leave any of the deadly reptiles. With Summer well on the way I've seen one too many King Browns for my liking. I'll take a mob of 'roo's or a garden full of bearded lizards any day!

My favorite part of the Aussie landscape (and it's hard to choose) would have to be the scent of the bush after rain. So fresh and full of sharp odors - eucalypts, earth, clean coolness...

Australia is a land of extremes - as we're experiencing once again this year. :-)

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Kylie!

Oh I love that scent too! So earthy and fresh. I also love the incoming scent of rain =)

And keep your King Browns, eh?? lol!

Janet Kerr said...

I would absolutely enjoy reading a "hot" read Mel.
Your books sound great!

Jan

Mel Teshco said...

Hi Janet,

and thanks so much. Everyone needs a little heat now and then =)

Terry Odell said...

Mel's winner: DeeLuLu. She's been contacted by email. Congratulations, and thanks to all who left comments.